Monday, April 2, 2012

Introductions: Ibanez AK95-DVS

Welcome to the grove fellow woodland creatures! This is my new project, reviewing and talking about my favorite things in the world! Those miraculous six string beauties known as guitars. I'll start by introducing myself, I'm Dallas Hanson, better known as Dr.Squatch, and guitars are my passion. I've played since age 12 and ever since I started playing I've wanted to know as much about the instrument as possible. I've spent hundreds of hours becoming familiar with the instrument itself and the community of players. I've had a passion for music since an even younger age, singing professionally since age 6. I own 4 guitars right now, an Ibanez AK95-DVS (the one I'll be reviewing today), a Takamine G-Series of some sort, a custom Ibanez that I've just rebuilt, formerly a Gio but now sort of a frankenguitar, with Seymour Duncan pickups, a custom dodge superbee inspired paint job, and all new hardware featuring what I consider to be the vastly underrated tuning option of Ping tuners, and a Samick Malibu (currently in progress for another project) I'm always wanting to purchase a new guitar, the dreaded disease of most players I think. Currently I've got my eyes open for a new acoustic electric, the Takamine just isn't doing it for me anymore. I'll post reviews of some that I've gone out and played on here as that happens. Today I'll be talking about my main axe, The Ibanez AK95-DVS.
This thing is a beauty. Both aesthetically and sound wise it's an incredible instrument and for under 600 dollars you won't be disappointed and wont' find a better full hollow body axe. I'm not usually a big fan of Ibanez solid bodies under a certain price, I think that their action is usually a little off for my taste, and that the tone could be improved. But something that Ibanez does absolutely right is build semi hollow and hollow body instruments that blow the competition out of the water. I purchased my guitar used from Musiciansfriend.com for $450 (new their closer to $600) including shipping, it arrived about a week later and out of the box it was incredible to play. (HUGE props to musicians friend, these guys do service right, it arrives in a timely manner and you get exactly what you paid for, I've never heard of any other site where the guitar arrives at your home ready to shred. Excellent excellent company, I was hesitant to buy online for a long time but was so pleased with my purchase from these guys that it's become a very viable option from now on)
The finish is the first thing you'll notice, mine is in what Ibanez calls a "Dark Violin Burst" it's black and brown in a burst pattern that you can see the wood through, it's got a solid spruce top and laminate flame maple back and sides. It's got a 20 fret rosewood fretboard on the Artcore Deluxe three piece Mahogany and Maple neck that's got mother of pearl inlays that are a great throwback to the flashy look of old Jazz Box's like you see the greats playing. My first thought was "Wow Wes Montgomery would've loved this thing" It has the same body shape as a Gibson ES-175 (Played by the likes of Steve Howe, guitarist of legendary prog rock band Yes) but the cutaway is slightly pointier, something that Ibanez is really good at, just take a look at the Xiphos. It's got gold hardware (pickup covers and tuner washers) with ivoroid tuners that surprisingly stay in tune incredibly well! It's got a floating rosewood bridge with solid wood tailpiece that has another inlay on it with gold edging. This thing just screams class. The finish is incredible on this thing, you really do have to see it in person to fully take it in. If I could change anything aesthetically about this guitar It'd be to throw a gold Bigsby vibrato bar on it.
The action on it is incredible, I lowered it a little bit and put on a pair of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's, to get a heavier tone on the low end but be able to do bends easier on the low end. I play a lot of blues and country and this guitar is really well suited to that. It sounds excellent clean and if you have a clean enough amp you can get a really nice acoustic tone out of her. The bridge pickup is suprisingly hot, a gift from Ibanez to blues players I think, it's the Ibanez ACH2 and is good for heavy blues, classic rock, and even a little bit of modern rock, however like all full hollow body guitars, if you turn the gain up too much it feeds back, there's a reason they're called feedback monsters. The neck pickup is an amazing clean tone great for country, classic rock, and jazz, and to get that acoustic tone I talked about earlier. This is a good all around workhorse tone, but if you're looking for anything heavier at high volumes you may want to steer clear of this one, though you may want to steer clear of a hollow body electric in general, the full hollow body just isn't going to give you what you're looking for. The tone will get you almost as many compliments as the aesthetics on this guitar will but ultimately I'd give the aesthetics 5 stars and the tone closer to 4.5.
With a pickup swap this guitar would be perfect. The pickups Ibanez puts into these things aren't the highest quality, but at the price you can't really expect them to be. I'd suggest something like the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates if you're looking to go more bluesy, because you'll get a hotter tone and still keep minimal feedback, but for a cleaner tone I'd go with the Seymour Duncan Jazz model. I love Seymour Duncan pickups I think they're going to give you the best tone for the price out of any pickup out there. Though for my style I always still have a solid body close at hand, this guitar is tonally amazing but it's not exactly tonally diverse, that being one of the biggest cons about this guitar. Another con is that this finish shows EVERYTHING, every finger print, every scratch, every ding. So if you're OCD I'd go for something in a different finish unless you want to spend a lot of time rubbing your guitar with a polishing rag. Another con is that it's made in China. This bothers a lot of people but I think that the factory this one came out of is doing it right.
I'd recommend this guitar to an intermediate to advanced player looking to expand their tonal pallet without dropping big money on a Gibson or Gretsch full hollow body guitar. I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner just because it's not something that a lot of beginners are going to be comfortable playing, it's going to feedback when they want to play fast and loud and it's not going to be exactly the tone they're looking for on some of the more popular music genres. I've played a lot of Gretsch electromatics that are about 100-200 dollars more expensive and these Ibanez' blow them out of the water. I'd definitely purchase another one of these babies if mine were ever stolen. I play mine every day and have for about a year and it just keeps sounding better, as it ages I think that this guitar will just get nicer and nicer (especially after I put new pickups in it.) Do yourself a favor and go out and play one, doctors orders. WARNING Side effects will probably include: Needing to purchase one of the bad boys for yourself!

7 comments:

  1. I bought one five years ago, then returned it because I didn't like the marquis cutaway. Years later I grew to like the cutaway and missed that dark violin sunburst and clutter of knobs. When I decided to buy another one I noticed it was missing on the Ibanez website. I panicked and started looking for one. I almost never found one because it was no longer in production. I finally found one at samash.com, probably the last new one on earth. It is breathtakingly beautiful and plays like a dream. China makes quality instruments nowadays, so don't worry about it. I have heard of poor quality control coming from the U.S. Gibson factory. I could never afford a Gibson 175, so for this look it was the Ibanez AK95 or nothing at all. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still available here in Holland. But u got to be fast. They dont make em anymore. I'ts an amazing guitar. Sounds very sweet. Ans its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my AK95DHS for about two years now and haven't seen them in the shops since... I play it everyday... only one problem... it's the only one I have now... sold everything else except for my old acoustic (Australian made Maton 225, the cheapest in their range... althought I get nothing but compliments and looks of disbelief about how loud and booming and nice and clear it sounds... anyways... back on my AK....)so now I'll need to start looking for another AK as a backup instrument...
    Guys, I've had quite a range of guitars and I know a thing or two about the subject and I can say these AK's are a pretty good guitar...
    Sure the p/ups could be a little fatter but hey, I learned to work around that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got mine brand new for $550 here in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. That's four years ago. I am still totally in love with it, and wonder why any one would ever spend (way) over $2.000 for a similar guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is now half a year old, bought it in Brussels with my first pay-check since ages. Just stepped in the guitar shop, asked if I could test some guitars... This AK was the 3rd guitar I tested and immediately fell in love with it (even if I only tested it non amplified). I just HAD to buy it, and I haven't regretted it for a single second. I might not be a very good guitar player, but that's maybe because I compare my skills between the guitar & the cello (my first instrument). Anyhow, as I said, I might not be a good guitar player, but this little gem certainly is trying its best to let me become one. Everyday it becons me to play with it, and it does a damn good job at that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bought one for $450 CAD with hardcase in mint condition.
    I knew the second I played the guitar that it had to be mine.
    A very fine instrument for the money and you would be hard pressed to find one from another brand at the price point offered new when they were available.

    Deal or not these are well worth the money.
    Ibanez has made me a believer!
    Just bought an RG721RW :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a Great Information World Day its very nice informative post. thanks for the post.
    Dentist in Spruce Grove
    Spruce Grove dentist

    ReplyDelete